Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Book Update

I have made a little more progress towards my Goodreads Challenge... after reading the Fever series, I moved on to the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. 

Fifty Shades Trilogy Bundle: Fifty Shades of Grey; Fifty Shades Darker; Fifty Shades Freed

Steamy? Yes... Good books? Yes... you actually care about the characters, even as you are beginning to think "ok, enough already" to Christian and Ana's ardent love for each other.  I had a hard time putting these books down.  A side note, however; there are a lot of similarities to Twilight (minus the Vampires, plus some steaminess)... so if you did not like the Twilight saga, Fifty Shades is probably not for you.  I was initially hesitant to read this series... not my thing... but then I saw on The Today Show that Hoda read it, and I thought that if Hoda can read it, I can read it!

Since reading these past few series... I have been searching for more books that I want to devour.  These books were pretty good, and were worth the read... but not in the sense that I couldn't put them down.

A fun chick-lit, summer read... beach read... you catch my drift:
I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
I've Got Your Number

These three were YA reads... and I will probably read any more of the series that come out:

Angelfall by Susan Ee
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Divergent (Divergent, #1)

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (although this was dangerously close to being 'meh')
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)


I also picked up Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series again at #4... because the characters overlap into the Fever series (yes, I know I got obsessed with that series for some reason).  Really they were written a little more like a traditional romance novel, but they were quick reads that entertained me enough to keep picking them up.  These are the kind of books that make me feel guilty for enjoying... like now I should go read some real literature!

Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4)
The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5)
The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6)
Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7)



Then I have been reading a slew of books that I would put in the "Meh, that was ok" category... still trying to find a series that captured me the way that the Fever series and Fifty Shades series did.

I am not so sure I will read more books in the series... just depends on how bored I get. The writing wasn't so good, and the storyline was only ok.

The books I read in this category include:

Vampire Academy #1 by Richelle Mead
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)

Graceling by Kristin Cashore
Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)

Dark Lover by JR Ward
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)

Finally, I read Loving Frank by Nancy Horan... and did not like it.  The writing was fantastic, but I just didn't like the story...things that the main character did... or how it ended.
Loving Frank

PHEW! I better keep up on updating my books... this was a long one!

Thanks for reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment