Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Keeping Myself Occupied

Even though this started off as a blog to chronicle my struggles with weight loss and as an outlet to vent some of my frustrations, for the longest time I really wasn't posting very often because although I am motivated to lose weight, it isn't something I love that I have to do!

For the past couple months, I have renewed my interest in being creative... in part to help me keep occupied at night in order to avoid boredom and snacking!  I have picked up some new hobbies, kept some of the old, and find that I am happy with the changes I have been attempting to make in my life.

For the past few days, I have been contemplating trying out something new... Quilting!  I came across this great blog, In Color Order, and am now obsessed with it!  I love the colors on her blog, the tutorials, the way she explains fabric choices... and her obsession with vintage sheets and vintage glassware!

I have two quilt projects in mind right now... and both have to do with using pre-cut squares while I get the hang of this.  I feel like it will give me some good practice sewing things together, and as a bonus, once I figure out how to quilt, it will hide some of my crooked stitching!

I am waiting for this cute Christmas fabric to come in the mail... called Flurry.  I love the blue, red, and green.


I was inspired by this quilt I saw on Etsy... thie fabric below is called 12 Days of Christmas, but I couldn't find it anywhere.  I have 11 months to figure out how to put it together :)  It is like playing Tangrams... ooh, I totally just this minute see how the blocks are put together (with the large square and smaller triangles).
(Source)
The other thing her blog got me to be obsessed with is vintage glassware!  She collects Pyrex, and I completely love it!  I had just been thinking about how I need some new cute bowls, when I saw all the great colors Pyrex used to come in!  So... I went to like 5 thrift stores (looking for sheets and Pyrex)... and completely struck out!  I cannot find those old super colorful flowered sheets anywhere (friends in other areas... this is a hint).  I did find one Pyrex pattern at one of the thrift stores, but the pattern was rubbed off in some areas.  Plus I don't want to become a hoarder, and I am mostly drawn to the pink and turquoise pieces.  I still can't decide if I should go buy it anyway ;-)


I also found a small yellow square container at an antique store, but it was $15 dollars... I thought that was too much (although who knows!)

So then I tried Craigslist... and someone was selling a set right in my neighborhood!  They are so cute and pink!  I really love the set (even though the smaller pink bowl has lost its shine)... and all 4 bowls were $30 all together.  I thought that was pretty good! And look how cute they are!  This type of bowl is even called a Cinderella bowl... I am envisioning Ava and I baking cookies uh, healthy things and using these.


I can't wait to keep looking for more vintage pyrex... there are a ton of turquoise pieces that I want to get my hands on!  As for the vintage sheets... I am now on a mission!  I will find you!

2 comments:

  1. Flea market...I see them all the time. I go every month Mar - Dec if you ever want to join me and my sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flea market...I see them all the time. I go every month Mar - Dec if you ever want to join me and my sis.

    ReplyDelete