Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Veggie Tale

This is the story of someone who really abhors most cooked vegetables.  I prefer to eat mine raw and crunchy... usually with a little ranch dressing.  For the past 10 days, however, I have not been able to eat vegetables with ranch dressing... and let me tell you, sitting down to a big plate of plain raw broccoli is just plain unsatisfying.  (Especially when you are constantly cooking pasta or bread for your daughter).

Photo courtesy of The Amateur Gourmet.
But today my life was changed forever.  Tonight, after seeing a The Amateur Gourmet's recipe for The Best Broccoli of Your Life, I went ahead and tried it.

Oh. My. Gosh.

It was absolutely amazing!  My mouth is watering, just thinking of it right now... and I am totally regretting sharing with my husband.  Just kidding.  Maybe.

Apparently, the recipe was a variation of one found in one of The Barefoot Contessa's cookbooks (see the link above for how Ina Garten makes it). And I varied it a little more.

Here is what you do:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Take a bunch of fresh broccoli (I used three small bunches- make sure it is completely dry)
A few tablespoons garlic infused olive oil (or regular olive oil, and toss in sliced garlic)
Salt
Lemon Pepper
Lemons
Parmesan Cheese (only on my husband's portion)

Toss broccoli in olive oil, add salt and pepper.  Lay in one layer on a cookie sheet, and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.  Your broccoli should have bits of brown crust on it when it is done.  Lightly sprinkle with lemon juice and parmesan cheese.  Place in mouth, and welcome yourself to vegetable heaven.

I am buying more broccoli tomorrow.

Oh... and one more thing!  Today is detox day 10!  That means, that tomorrow I can add organic hormone free chicken, or wild caught fish to my diet.  AND I am halfway there!

2 comments:

  1. Amy that's great that you made it to day 10!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You should try the broccoli, I bet your boys would love it!

    ReplyDelete