Friday, November 11, 2011

"Peas are Evil"

I have to say, as much as I dream of being a stay-at-home mom, there are days that my job makes me feel great. All through grad school, my training was in alternative school settings... That is, where children who are having trouble learning and functioning within the general education environment go. A few years I had an epiphany... One of those sock you in the chest, keep you awake at night realizations about what you enjoy and want out of a job. The truth is, I love the "naughty" kids. I don't mind being hit, kicked, spit at (ok that I actually do mind), sworn at, and you get the picture. Because these kids need someone to be there for them, to tell them they are good, even if their behavior is not. Some of the absolute BEST parts of my job are the things kids do or say to me. The Purple Candle is one of my favorites. I also love the occasional "your butt is huge" comment, to which I always calmly reply, "you are right, it's gigantic".

This year I am lucky to once again be in a self-contained school, but this time for preschoolers with special needs. At the library today, we were bring read a book about never ever eating a tomato... Or carrots... Or potatoes... Or peas. To which one of the children yelled out, "PEAS ARE EVIL!" and I thought to myself, yep- they are.

0 comments:

Post a Comment