Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What if? Detox Day 4

Finally.  A good day on this detox plan.  After headaches Monday through Wednesday, my body finally got used to not eating carbs.  Thank goodness... because my carb addition is something straight out of a Chris Farley skit (think 'Lay off me, I'm starving').  As I mentioned previously, beginning this intense of a diet without being more prepared is a terrible idea.  Never do it.  I had to drink a shake with only water and almost ralphed.  The shake is so nasty... not even fruit in it really helps.  Today, I had the time to do a little more grocery shopping, and with the help of a friend I was able to make a fantastic Poblano and Tomato soup.  I actually enjoyed my dinner tonight, despite it being extremely veggie filled and low in calories.  And those nasty shakes?  Taste so much better with a half banana in it!

Here is the recipe (I adapted it from the original version I got from my friend):

2-3 TBS garlic infused olive oil *got from Trader Joe's- SO strong!
              (or: recipe called for 2 T oil, 3 garlic cloves)
1 large onion (I used a sweet onion, like Vidalia)
1 large can of fire roasted tomatoes (or: recipe called for 1.5 lbs tomatoes)
2 Poblano peppers
1 quart vegetable stock
oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Put oil in large pot, sautee onion (and garlic if used) for about 10 minutes, or until translucent
Meanwhile, place poblano peppers on a baking sheet and broil 5-8 minutes
Stem and seed poblanos


Place everything in pot, including oregano, salt, pepper and simmer for 20-30 minutes.  It already looks and smells delicious!

Once through cooking, place entire contents into a blender and blend thoroughly.
Note: do not fill blender too full, or this will happen (especially because it is hot)

After dinner, after feeling all proud of myself for making the easiest soup ever, I even had energy to go work out at the gym.  I love going there once I am there, I just need some motivation.  Luckily, there was motivation running on the treadmill nearby... wink, wink ;-) (sorry hubby!)

But seriously, it was tonight's soup and overall energy level today that made me start to think What If?  What if I really tried to eat like this all of the time?  I would feel so much better about myself, I would be healthier, have energy, and down the road would even be able to once again shop at stores that don't carry clothes for BFGs (big friendly giants for those who have never read Roald Dahl).  Something to think about...

And then I got home.  The husband went on a num-num making bender while I was working out, and there was not one, but TWO different kids of fudge.  And then I started having flashbacks to the lovely Giordano's pizza someone had for lunch while I munched on celery and drank a nasty shake.  And then the hubby was like, "Eat just a little bit of fudge!" (get thee back, devil!) I bet you are wondering, "Did she cheat on the detox?"  Nope! I have willpower, baby!  And I might still be dreaming of 17 days from now when I can eat fudge and pizza, but I am thinking just as much about how in 17 days from now, I might just want to keep up with my celery and healthy soup instead.

0 comments:

Post a Comment