Sunday, November 27, 2011

So the saying goes...

I realized that although I started this blog in order to have an outlet to vent about my struggles with weight-loss, I haven't actually written about this subject in quite awhile... last night my family went out sans kids for me, my sister's, and one of my brother's birthdays.  We used to do this all the time, but since my sister had my nephew four years ago, we really haven't gone out "big kids only".  We went to McCormick & Schmick's, one of my old favorites when I lived downtown Chicago.  I always loved their Martinis, and last night was no exception!  I treated myself to a couple of Sidecar Martinis, which are made with brandy (sometimes cognac), triple sec/Cointreau, and lemon juice.  Yum!!


What does this have to do with weight loss?  Absolutely nothing... except that it relates to one of my earlier posts about how I always decide to start "tomorrow", which is how I started to gain all this weight.  It also relates to the fact that I decided to do a detox, or purification after listening to a talk given by a local chiropractor.  I decided to take his advice, and am currently on day one of a 21-day process - smack dab in the middle of the holidays.  Horrible timing, I know.  But I realized today, as my husband was eating Thanksgiving leftovers that I REALLY wanted (and thought about fighting him for giving into), that I should not keep contemplating just starting the detox "tomorrow" in order to eat food that fit my mood.  I know I always feel like I have to hurry and eat something before it is gone and (think this in an ominous voice) I can never ever eat it again, but you know what?  I can always make a small turkey dinner for my family, really any day I feel like it.  Yep, what an epiphany. After all, my favorites are the sides which are not even time consuming.  The world is not currently on a sweet potato shortage, or a stuffing shortage (uh... I hope, or my epiphany will just be a lie).

So, as the saying goes, I actually grabbed the bull by the horns and started my detox.  I am doing the purification system by Standard Process, which seems to be tricky to find, because you have to buy it from an authorized provider and is on the expensive side.  Although I say it is tricky to find, actually I bought mine for less on Amazon (I saved like $60) compared to the chiropractor, but it wasn't the fiber version I had wanted. I also talked with my Aunt Kathie, who is a Naturopathic Doctor, and recommended I add a couple of things.  She is a wealth of knowledge in this area, and I certainly appreciate her helping me (Her practice/natural store would also be a resource for those in the area).  So far, I am hungry, because I was not overly prepared to start... I also have a bit of a headache (this is normal and expected), but I am glad I started today.  In 21 days I can have a glass of wine again... let the countdown begin!

0 comments:

Post a Comment